If you live in the Pacific Northwest and are in need of an urban escape – overnight or weekend getaway, head to Woodinville! The Woodinville WineCountry showcases some of the state’s finest wineries, and rumor has it that a new winery opens its doors each week in this area. As if you needed more than one reason than that to go to Woodinville! Here is a list of our Top Ten in Woodinville.
“Approaching Willows Lodge, you feel it. A sense of calm. An aura of comfort and welcome. Here, in the gorgeous Woodinville Wine Country, colors seem richer, the air is fresher, and everything just tastes better. Soak in the warm outdoor Jacuzzi and indulge in a rejuvenating spa treatment. Savor an incredible glass of local wine by the cozy lobby fireplace. Explore our serene gardens, abundant with native plantings, herbs and unique water features. And the incredible food. Flavors so sublime you let the taste linger just a moment longer. It’s the kind of place you’ve been dreaming about.”
The Barking Frog at Willows Lodge
While you are in Woodinville, reserve a table at The Barking Frog at Willows Lodge where Chef Bobby Moore delights guests with Northwest creations, including the famous Grand Marnier Prawns.
Top 10 in Woodinville!
#1 – Visit wineries
Take a tour at Chateau Ste. Michelle , “one of Washington’s oldest and most acclaimed winery features award-winning wines and unparalleled tasting experiences at the historic chateau”.
#2 – Visit Molbak’s
In downtown Woodinville, where you can get inspired by expert advice for your home and garden!
#3 – Take a brewery tour of Redhook,
Right next door to The Willows Lodg, come and sample several of their ales. Redhook has brewed traditional ales since 1982–a historical tradition in Woodinville!
#4 – Attend an outdoor concert
This is a definite must in our Top 10 in Woodinville! Go and attend an outdoor concert at Chateau Ste. Michelle in the summertime (June-September)
#5 – Bike ride out the Burke Gilman Trail
Easy to get out as bikes are available for rent at the lodge.
#6 – Bellevue Square and The Bravern
On the way to Woodinville, go shopping at Bellevue Square and The Bravern.
#7 – Golfing at nearby courses
There are countless courses to play a few rounds on including Echo Falls, Golf Club at Redmond Ridge,Willows Run, and Newcastle.
#8 – Outdoor movies at Redhook
Seeing an outdoor movie is a definite must in the summertime!
#9 – Hot air ballooning
A perfect way to see the views in the summertime!
#10 – Spa treatments at The Spa at Willows Lodge
Come to the Spa at Willows Lodge and soak in the hot tub in a private Japanese garden afterwards. This Spa recently received the 2011 Top 100 Resort Spas in U.S. by Conde Nast Traveler definitely something you will not want to miss in the Top 10 in Woodinville!
Top Wineries in Woodinville
Note: Many of these are all within walking distance of The Willows Lodge.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle – Largest and best tour
- Darby Winery – modern and contemporary interior tasting room, and their wines have received national acclaim
- Columbia Winery, – located right across the street from Ste. Michelle (big tasting room and gift shop), you can visit one Washington’s first premium winery, produces high acclaimed Washington wines from the Columbia Valley and Yakima Valley
- Januik/Novelty Hill –worth the visit not only for the wine, but the winery’s architecture and gardens– it’s more than a tasting room and is considered to be one of Woodinville’s top destinations! (Right around the corner from Columbia)
- DeLille Cellars – a small, dedicated winery located in Woodinville with a mission to make the very best hand crafted, Bordeaux styled red and white wines in Washington. They have a tasting room called their
Carriage House, but reserve tastings are held at their Chateau (just down the street) and this one is very informative and worth the higher tasting fee
- Alexandria Nicole in the Hollywood Schoolhouse
- Matthews – unlike a lot of wineries in Woodinville, this tasting room is opendaily! Worth a visit – here’s some of the history from their site: “Established in 1993, Matthews Estate is located in the heart of the Woodinville Wine Country. The boutique winery is owned by two local families and focuses on maintaining production of bordeaux style and single varietal vineyard designated wines, using grapes grown in Washington State from vineyards that have experience and respect for nature and soil. The winery and winemaker, Aryn Morell, believe that there is a deep and tangible link between the vines, hills, winegrowers and winemakers, and carries this proof of affinity into every aspect of winemaking: from the vineyard to the cellar, from the vine to the wine bottle.”
Note: There are a lot of wineries within walking distance to the lodge and many boutique ones that produce outstanding wines and highly rated.
- Mark Ryan
- Sparkman Cellars
- Efeste (located in the Warehouse district, but produce outstanding wines) – you’d need a car to drive here (only 4 miles away)
- Brian Carter