Kuwait Travel Tips
Our first trip to Kuwait and we are already excited to return and explore more in this country in the northwestern corner of the Arabian Gulf.
Kuwait is an Arab country that borders Iraq and Saudi Arabia. It is a leading exporter of petroleum and has more than 10% of the world’s oil reserves.
The skyline of Kuwait City has cranes and modern skyscrapers rising up, amidst souks, mosques and heritage sites from ancient Bedouin days. With new development, Kuwait embraces its traditional values and warm Arabian hospitality.
Sharing our list of favorite things to do, where to stay & dine in Kuwait.
Things to Do
The iconic blue Kuwait Towers, one with a revolving sphere, and high-rise restaurants. The Kuwait Towers were built in 1979 & mark Kuwait’s economic renaissance.
Located in the heart of the city, the Kuwait’s Grand Mosque, also referred to as Al-Masjid Al-Kabir, is the largest domed mosque in Kuwait and a revered landmark. Admire its traditional Islamic architecture and sign up for a guided tour.
Souk Al-Mubaraqeya: one of the oldest souks in Kuwait – over 200 yrs old! The trade center of Kuwait before oil was discovered. Find bargains on silk carpets, antiques, jewelry, perfumes such as musk and oud, and local foods.
Souk Sharq: another traditional marketplace where you can shop, then visit the fish market next door. Fantastic views of Kuwait’s skyline from here.
See the old sailing ships and dhows that were used for coastal trading, fishing, and pearl diving in the past. Located next door to Souk Sharq.
Kuwait’s Liberation Tower is the 39th tallest building in world at almost 1,200 ft high. It’s a symbol of Kuwait’s liberation from Iraq, presented in 1996 by the late Kuwaiti Amir, Sheikh Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah.
Al Shaheed Park:
Take in city views from this urban park, just a few minutes walk from the Four Seasons.
Walk the Corniche:
For sea and city views, take a stroll along the corniche, near Souk Sharq.
Cafes & art galleries:
Dar Harmad a modern café with delicious meals with an art gallery supporting local artists. Free Atelier Studio is a historical place for first Kuwaiti Art movement and these days will open the doors for all art lovers, art collectors and researchers of Kuwaiti culture and heritage.
Don’t miss a visit to the traditional Sadu House where you’ll learn about the Kuwaiti culture, the Bedouin art of weaving, its style & history.
Visit a Museum:
One museum of interest is the Tareq Rajab with a collection of handmade treasures dating back 250 yrs. from the Rajab family.
Drive the city to see old and new styles of architecture. Don’t Miss! Kuwait’s new performing arts center, the Sheikh Jaber Al Ahmad Cultural Center to admire its futuristic design.
Visit an Island:
Kuwait has several islands to visit, and one of the most popular is Failaka Island, located along the northern part of Persian Gulf.
Click here to see Visit Kuwait’s site and more ideas of things to do during your visit to Kuwait.
Also, Four Seasons Kuwait Burj Alshaya arranges the following tours:
- Heritage & Culture Saga (4 hrs daily ) 9 AM to 13.00 Hrs or 4 PM to 08: Hrs — The tour to visit Kuwait National Museum , Sadu House (traditional weaving house), Fish Market & Dhow Harbor, Sharq Shopping Mall Water Front Project. The tour will continue to visit the land mark The Kuwait Towers. On the way back pass by the National Assembly House, New Seif Palace, Banking Area of Kuwait and The Grand Mosque.
- Coastline Tour (4 Hrs Daily) 9 AM to 13.00 Hrs or 4 PM to 08: Hrs — On this tour you will visit the biggest Fish Market of Kuwait & dhow Harbor, the Sharq Shopping Mall Water Front Project, Marine Museum, Photo Stop at the Al Hashmi II (the biggest wooden Dhow in the Guinness Book of Record). on the way back drive through the corniche road of Kuwait (Arabian Gulf Street)
- Shopping & Shopping Mall (5 Hrs Daily) any time during the day for 5 Hrs 10 AM until 8 PM — In This Tour you visit the Traditional Souq to experience the traditional shopping (at Gold Souq, Women Souq & Mubarakya Souq) & then to the Largest Shopping Mall of Kuwait the Avenues to explore the latest & modern shopping with all world class brands.
- Culture Treasure (4 Hrs Daily) 9 AM to 13.00 Hrs or 4 PM to 08: Hrs — In this tour you visit the Tareq Rajab Museum one of the best museums in Kuwait with the largest private collections from all over the world like Islamic Artifacts, arms, costumes, jewelry, musical instruments, paintings, Holy Qurans & Quarnic inscriptions. Tour will continue to visit Kuwait National Museum & pass by the National Assembly House, New Seif Palace, Banking Area of Kuwait and The Grand Mosque.
- Treasured Traditions (5 Hrs Daily) 9 AM to 13.00 Hrs or 4 PM to 08: Hrs — You start the tour by visiting the National Memorial Museum (war Museum),Al Qurain Museum (Martyrs’’ Museum). Tour will continue to visit the Historical Car & Vintage Classic Museum & pass by the National Assembly House, New Seif Palace, Banking Area of Kuwait and the Grand Mosque.
- Aquarium & Sea Life (4 Hrs Daily) 9 AM to 13.00 Hrs or 4 PM to 08: Hrs — In this tour you visit the Kuwait Scientific center to see the Aquarium, desert animals and snakes, also visit the Imax Theater. Photo stop at Pyramid Mosque of Kuwait and the Kuwait Towers
- Island Tour (timing’s differ and tour takes about 6-8 Hrs) timing’s mentioned below — The tour includes a Lunch on the Island and you will sail the clean dark blue waters of the Arabian Gulf on a Catamaran to reach your destination on Failaka Island where you could either dive, relax, snorkel or swim. Tour start at around 10.00 AM / back at 4.00 PM
Where to Stay & Dine
Where to Stay?
Only 5 months old, the Four Seasons in Kuwait at Burj Alshaya is the new stylish centerpiece of Kuwait. Its design is sleek and avant-garde, the perfect backdrop for business meetings, weddings, vacations or a romantic getaway.
Every detail is artfully presented throughout the rooms, the spa, the lobby, restaurants. This luxury property exudes the modern vision of Middle Eastern design.
My room was so comfortable and spacious, it was hard to leave and explore the city.
Dinner at Dai Forni featured delectable Italian cuisine. There are incredible rooftop views to enjoy while savoring Italian comfort food. The menu selection is replete with salads, pizza from the wood-burning oven, an antipasti station and handmade pasta. Executive Chef Sebastiano Sriveri and a dedicated kitchen staff create a superb dining experience.
Best way to relax in Kuwait is to go for a swim in the 4th level pool, then order a platter of colorful mezze and shisha at the outdoor cafe Al Bandar, and bask in sun in a private cabana.
Where to Dine & Shisha?
Check with the Four Seasons concierge for the list of Top Ten restaurants and Shisha hotspots.
Here are a few they shared with us:
- Dar Harmad: Traditional Kuwaiti cuisine
- Babel: Lebanese
- Al Mayass: Lebanese – Armenian
- Sultan Chef Steakhouse: Turkish cusine
Global Adventuress would like to thank Four Seasons Kuwait at Burj Ashaya for hosting our stay!
Check out some more of the amazing Four Seasons Resorts around the world below.