Southend on Sea Essex, England Travel– A Hidden Gem!
There are almost 50 counties in England, and many visitors are drawn to the popular Lake District, the Cotswolds, or Yorkshire areas. We are discovering more areas in England that are interesting destinations in our England Getaway series.
For this English getaway, we decided to visit Essex in Southeastern England, and stayed in a charming seaside town called Southend-on-Sea. Southend offers seven miles of beaches to explore along with the longest pleasure pier in the world and the smallest pub in Essex.
Sharing our list of favorite things to do, places to stay & dine in Essex and surrounding areas.
THINGS TO DO
THINGS TO DO:
1. Walk the beaches and/or cycle the paths along the coastline, and don’t miss the colorful beach huts on the shore.
2. From the historic Southend Pier, there are top attractions for families at Adventure Island with its fantastic rides, amusement arcades or water wonders at Sea-Life Adventure (Note: some of these are closed during the winter season).
3. Find history and culture at art gallery exhibitions or wander about town and look at historic houses.
4. Visit nearby Hadleigh Castle where you can see the ruins of a once royal castle constructed in the early 13th century.
5. Dine at Van Looy’s Fish & Chip Shop in Southend just off of the High Street where you can savor traditional fish & chips with “mushy” (mashed) peas at a bargain price.
6. Check into the Spa at Roslin Beach Hotel and treat yourself to an hour or day of pampering.
7. Drive to Kent, the “Garden County of England” admire the architectural wonder of Canterbury Cathedral, and natural wonders at the Cliffs of Dover.
8. While in Kent, visit Leeds Castle and discover almost 900 years of history and explore 500 acres of beautiful parkland and gardens.
Formerly a Norman stronghold, the private property of six of England’s medieval queens, a palace used by Henry VIII and his first wife Catherine of Aragon, a Jacobean country house, a Georgian mansion, an elegant early 20th century retreat for the influential and famous and in the 21st century, it has become one of the most visited historic buildings in Britain. Today, the Castle is kept as a living house, with bedrooms that regularly accommodate guests at weddings, conferences and banquets. Don’t Miss! The Maze & Grotto, thrilling falconry displays, punting on the moat, adventure playgrounds and more.
9. Take the Chunnel to France for the day! Near the doorstep of France, visitors to Essex are only a couple hours away from the Chunnel ride to Calais.
WHERE TO STAY
Roslin Beach Hotel We found Roslin Beach Hotel to be absolutely lovely! Located right on the beach, our room had seaviews and was clean, spacious and comfortable. Service is excellent. Don’t Miss! The Spa – treat yourself to a 50 mins spa treatment and have a relaxing hour of pampering.
Featuring 62 bespoke rooms and suites with handmade furniture and extensive in-room luxuries like plush bathrobes and complimentary Wi-Fi, Roslin Beach Hotel is a coastal retreat and a top choice in Southend-on-Sea hotels. Situated in a quiet location opposite an award-winning beach, the hotel is ideal for romantic getaways, meetings, and celebrations and family holidays alike.
With vintage character and personalised service in a luxurious yet casual environment, Roslin Beach Hotel is one of the best hotels in Southend-on-Sea. Book your reservation today.
In London for the Night? Or just for breakfast…
The Goring Hotel: With over 100 years of luxury service, London’s last remaining family-owned luxury hotel is a grand hotel with impeccable manners and a subtle streak of wit and wonder.
After arriving to Gatwick, we took the train to Victoria Station and had a proper English breakfast. A traditional English breakfast at The Goring is delicious and memorable. We stopped at the Dining Room at The Goring, awarded is first Michelin star in 2015, before seeing the main landmarks of London before we drove to Essex. The Chef Shay Cooper and his team have retained their Michelin star and continue to delight customers.
If you opt to dine here for lunch, be sure to order the Queen’s time-proven classic favorite — Eggs Drumkilbo. Explore the menu. To make a reservation contact +44 (0)20 7396 9000, email click here or book online click here
WHERE TO DINE
Roslin The Terrace — Afternoon Tea is quite popular here, but we made a reservation for Sunday dinner and thought the Sunday Roast Beef and Leg of Lamb dishes divine! Be sure to have their Yorkshire pudding. Highly recommend!
Bourgee Restaurant – Nice option for evening drinks and dinner. Great ambience!
Van Looy’s Fish & Chips delish traditional fish & chips with “mushy” (mashed) peas at a bargain price.
Cornucopia Get a pint of beer at the smallest pub in Essex!
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa at Ellis’s Restaurant: This AA Rosette Award restaurant is an excellent dining option in Essex. We loved our lunch and Head Chef Daniel Holland-Robinson presented us with homemade pea ham soup, roasted chicken and pork dishes.
Ellis’s Restaurant sets out to provide simple, quality fresh food all year round. Delicious!
HOW TO GET AROUND
Visitors who arrive to London have several options on getting to Essex from London – the Tube, trains, Uber, taxis.
If you want to go in style, book a luxury transfer with Platinum Ride Limousine who service areas around London and the UK Email click here for reservations.
We received excellent professional and courteous chauffeur driven limousine services. They operate a fleet of Millennium Lincoln Stretch Limousine to choose from.
If you want an airport transfer, corporate or wedding limousine rentals, limo sightseeing tours or other services while seeing the great sights of London, give Platinum Ride Limousine a call.
When transfering to Essex, be sure to keep a lookout for some of London’s landmarks – Tower of London, London Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the London Eye.
Platinum Ride Limousine provided us with VIP luxury, prompt and reliable service.
Global Adventuress would like to thank The Goring Hotel, the Roslin Beach Hotel, Leeds Castle, Platinum Ride Limousines, and the Greenwoods Hotel and Spa for hosting us during our stay.