Sign Up to Go! Walk the Camino de Santiago – September 2019
Venture out on one of the most famous walks in the world – the Camino de Santiago, Spain!
Sign Up by August 1, 2019
Interested in Going on this Trip?
Overview: The Camino de Santiago, also known as the Way of St. James, is perhaps the most famous walk in the world. Join a small group of other pilgrims on this once-in-a-lifetime journey along the French way from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.
Dates: September 10-19, 2019
Price: From $4,350/pp
- September 9: Fly to Spain!
- September 10: Upon arrival at Santiago airport, you will be met and transferred to the town of Sarria, a favorite starting point of the Camino de Santiago. With your Program Leader, explore the town center, where you will find churches, chapels, monasteries, and seven pilgrim hospitals. The main street, Rúa Maior, has a friendly atmosphere, where you can relax while enjoying a drink or bite in one of the charming cafes around. Tonight, you will have a special Welcome Dinner with your local guide at the hotel.
- September 11: On the first day on the Camino, expect a calm walk through pretty villages and peaceful hamlets under the shade of oak trees and along quiet country roads. Along the way, you will spot many Galician traditional ‘hórreos’ (granaries). Visit the beautiful Romanesque church in the village of Barbadelo. Your destination for the night is the town of Portomarín. Distance: 22.3KM
- September 12: Starting from the lovely village of Portomarin, today the Camino will cross the river Miño, Galicia’s longest river, and rise uphill steadily towards the Serra de Ligonde. Tonight, you will stay in the lovely hamlet of Ventas de Narón. Distance: 13.0KM
- September 13: On today’s walk, you’ll visit the Romanesque Church of Santa María in Castromaior and the Romanesque church in Eirexe, with its portal featuring a sculpture of Daniel with animals, as well as Pilgrim Santiago. Tonight, you’ll rest in Palas de Rei. Distance: 11.8KM
- September 14: Today, the Camino trail continues downhill, passing the village of Casanova and the delightful village of Leboreiro. You will split what was traditionally a long day into two shorter days and take a break in the lively market town of Melide, where you will try octopus, Galicia’s most classic dish, in one of the many ‘pulperías.’ Distance: 14.4KM
- September 15: The Camino crosses several streams and follows a forest track bringing you to the village of Boente and the church of Santiago. Next is the pretty medieval hamlet of Ribadiso and finally the town of Arzúa, famous for its local cheese. In Arzúa, you visit the churches of Santa María and A Magdalena. Distance: 14.1KM
- September 16: Today’s Camino will take you through pretty woods, sleepy villages and across streams for most of the day. The chapel of Santa Irene, with its unique statue of Santiago, is worth a visit. En route, stop to see the lovely hamlet of Rúa. The rest of the journey to O Pedrouzo is along a mix of calm country roads and forest tracks. Distance: 19.3KM
- September 17: The final day walking! First, stop in Lavacolla on the outskirts of Santiago, where pilgrims used to wash in the river in preparation for their arrival in Santiago de Compostela. Rows of tall eucalyptus trees line your journey to Monte do Gozo, ‘Mount of Joy’, and it is from here that will catch your first glimpse of the spires of the cathedral in Santiago. When you arrive in the city, population 80,000, explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site’s architecture and delight in the beautiful atmosphere of this spiritual and cultural city. Distance: 19.4KM
- September 18: Today, you will be transferred via private vehicle to Finisterre, where Kilometer 0 of the Camino is located. After exploring Finisterre and Muxia with your guide, enjoy a sunset cruise before heading back to Santiago de Compostela.
- September 19: The program officially ends today. You will be transferred to the Santiago Airport for your flight home or to your next destination. Should you want to continue your Journey, an extension can be planned for you!
HOW TO SIGN UP
Interested in Going on this Trip?
- From $4,350/pp (based on double occupancy)
- Single Supplement: $350/pp (based on availability)
- 9 Nights’ Accommodations
- 9 Breakfasts
- 9 Dinners
- Airport Transfers
- Private Local Walking Guide
- Daily Luggage Transfers
- Pilgrim’s Credential
What’s NOT Included:
- International Airfare
- Travel Insurance
- Items of a Personal Nature
- Gratuities & Tips for the Guide
In recommending and offering trips, Global Adventuress, LLC, acts only as an independent marketing agent for separate and independent tour companies. Click here for details.